Saturday, February 7, 2009

'Ello, Love

The French take their strikes very seriously. I showed up at my Thursday Université de Paris class on the history of India only to discover that no one had shown up. My friend, Cally, and I waited about half an hour to see if class would occur, and were about to leave when we encountered the professor. He explained to us that it was quite possible that the students would continue to strike for most of the semester, and in the event that they never returned, we could read a bunch of books and write a paper to get credit for the class. I would be very ok with that.

Later on we went to a Resto-U for dinner. This is a cafeteria-like establishment that serves full meals for 2.85 euro. You do get what you pay for, but it's super cheap, which means more money for bars (which are, unfortunately, not at all super cheap). You also get to meet all sorts of interesting people. We met a man from South Korea who was studying French and photography in Paris. In fact, he was so enthusiastic about photography that he asked Cally if he could take her picture. When she uncomfortably agreed, he preceded to take several pictures of her until finally we told him we had to go. It appears I have found someone to soak up some of my raw awkwardness.

The next day I met up with a French university student that was assigned to be my conversation partner. He is trying to improve his English just as I am trying to improve my French, so we chatted for awhile over coffee in both languages. He told me that I spoke French with a British accent, which I find to be really amusing. So apparently I have a British accent but it only comes out when I speak French.

That night we went out to three of the most financially devastating bars I've ever been to. I may have to reconfigure my bar outings in order to be able to afford to eat. Tonight my friends and I are invited to have a drunken dance party with the an older gay gentleman who is the homestay person of my friend Sam. More ridiculous photos to follow...

1 comment:

  1. That place sounds sooo cheap! take me there when I come to Paris, because it is tres cher here too!

    ReplyDelete