Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Finally Proud D'Etre Americaine

So I've for the most part regained my composure and am starting to get into the swing of things here. My intensive French class started today, and I feel a little better about speaking French. In fact, my thought process has switched into a kind of Franglais where half the words are in French and half in English. I think I'll finally feel at home when I join a gym and get internet in my apartment.

A few things I've found interesting here:

1. Will Smith's new movie, 7 Pounds, is called 7 Lives here. Not sure why.
2. My Super Sweet Sixteen dubbed in French is hilarious, as is the commercial for "Shake ton booty," a program I can only imagine is as exhilerating as its title suggests.
3. I saw a person eating a baked sweet potato on the metro yesterday. I'm not sure if that's considered weird here or not.

The only thing I'm really bummed about at the moment is missing the inauguration. The DCist posted about 15 times over the hour that I was eating lunch and I was showing everyone at school the photos. My friends and I attempted to watch the speech at this American bar near the Opera but it was so crowded we couldn't get in. We were on a street with three or four American bars that were all filled to capacity with people spilling out into the road. A lot of them were clearly American but there were a lot of French people there as well and everyone was cheering and taking pictures. It was really nice to see people passionate about the dynamics of other governments. Americans are so rarely passionate about other countries the way Europeans are.

I guess that's everything noteworthy for now but hopefully there will be something more to report when I go out this weekend. Keep me updated on what's going on in the old U.S. of A!

4 comments:

  1. 1. "7 Pounds" is a reference to the Merchant of Venice, where Shylock is owed a pound of flesh from everyone who does him wrong.
    3. The sweet potato thing is normal here. Get on the bandwagon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized that probs didn't clear it up for you. Owing "a pound of flesh," in a higher sense, is a metaphor for being in debt with your life. So the more literal translation makes sense for the movie to refer to "7 lives"

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really want to go eat a baked potato on the metro.

    oh yeah, me and james are now dating. danas cool with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. America is completely different now that Barack Obama is president. You probably won't even recognize it.

    ReplyDelete