So I haven't been here a whole week yet so I can't really justify the minor freak-out I've been having, but this whole study abroad experience is a lot harder than I thought. First and foremost I'd like to apologize to anyone to whom I said I spoke French. Evidently I don't really speak French. I've moved into a little studio apartment in this woman's basement, which is really cute but very much a part of her house. I got there Friday and she helped me bring my bags in and talked to me for a little while. I was understanding her pretty well until her 17 year old daughter, Amandine, and her friend came home from school and started talking about a mile a minute using all sorts of slang with which I wasn't familiar. They asked me if I wanted to go to the movies with them, which I took them up on. They were really nice to me and made sure to slow down and ask if I understood every once in awhile but I only really understood about 90% of the conversation, bringing me to the realization that 10% is an epic amount of conversation to miss out on. It actually alters your entire conception of what is being discussed. I'm hoping it will be a little better as my French improves but right now I'm incredibly overwhelmed and a little homesick.
Classes start on Monday so hopefully I'll get into the swing of things pretty soon. Until then I'm trying to calm down and hoping this will be fun soon.
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I imagine it was even worse in French.
ReplyDeleteHow could you possibly have paid any attention to the actual plot with all of the hotness that is Robert Pattinson on the screen. Helloooo!?
ReplyDeleteIt actually was in English subbed in French, which gave me a much needed couple hours to regroup. The hotness kind of eluded me being that the plot was borderline retarded lol.
ReplyDeleteit was a pretty terrible movie. he is not hot. and i cant believe theyre making more of them.
ReplyDelete